Welcome to the first installment of our new series “Mind Your Cannabusiness with Nick Weiss”, with a focus on what Ohio Employers need to know about running their business in light of Ohio’s legalization of medical marijuana.
In this episode, we cover:
- Employers’ right to craft their own policy and qualifiers to that right
- Best practices for drafting a policy on use employees’ use of medical marijuana
- Pros and cons of zero tolerance
- Crafting the right policy for your business
- Working with other businesses in the cannabis industry
Listen to the conversation on the audio player below, or download Nick’s talk to listen off-line (right-click on the link to save to your device):
Organizations mentioned in this podcast:
- COSE Council of Smaller Enterprises – cose.org
- Wright-Patt Credit Union, Inc – wpcu.coop/wright-patt-credit-union-providing-banking-services-to-licensed-marijuana-related-businesses
Future installments of the Mind Your Cannabusiness series will be focused on what you should know if you are an ancillary business, dispensary, cultivator, or processor. Be sure you are following the Gertsburg Law Firm by subscribing to the blog (on this page) or following us on social media to be notified when new episodes are available.
You may also be interested in:
- “8 Things Businesses Need to Know about Ohio’s Medical Marijuana Rollout” (COSE Council of Smaller Enterprises, May 2018): Nick Weiss discusses what the medical marijuana rollout impact will be for companies in Northeast Ohio, with eight takeaways businesses need to keep in mind about the legalization of medical marijuana in Ohio.
- 10-min Legal Talk with Nick Weiss on Medical Marijuana: Nick sits down with Alex Gertsburg for a quick overview on the impact of the Medical Marijuana roll-out on Ohio businesses, including employee drug policy and rules for doing business with new providers.
- The following articles by Nick on the Gertsburg Law Firm blog:
- Nick’s series titled “Doing Business in the Age of Marijuana”, including Risks and Rewards (Part I), and Starting from the Ground Up (Part II).
- The Pros and Cons of Drug Testing
- Rolling Out the Ohio Marijuana Program – When and How the Industry Will Take Shape
Nicholas Weiss uses his years of experience in civil litigation, and his in-house advisory experience, to assist both businesses and individuals in pursuing and defending their interests, and obtaining the best possible outcomes for his clients. He is currently an Instructor of Medical Marijuana Law and Policy at Cleveland School of Cannabis, and can be reached at The Gertsburg Law Firm by calling 440-528-1233 or sending a message to email@example.com.
The Gertsburg Law Firm produces these Legal Talks to give insight into legal issues for non-lawyers and to share our experience with the community. The contents of this interview are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.
An audit of your policies can help you avoid the pain of lawsuits. The Gertsburg Law Firm now offers CoverMySix, a one-stop legal audit for your business, led by award-winning litigators and in-house counsel. CM6 minimizes your exposure to lawsuits, investigations, disgruntled employees and customers, and all the damage that comes with them. Learn more about how to protect your business from lawsuits at covermysix.com.