Why Buyers and Sellers Use Experienced Lawyers for Their Real Property Transactions
Chagrin Falls and Cleveland attorneys help draft, negotiate, and settle the sales of homes and commercial property
Buying a home is often the most expensive purchase individuals and couples make. Buying commercial property can set the foundation for where and how a company does business for generations. The wise choice is to use legal counsel for these significant purchases. Skilled lawyers handle each phase from the review of the sales agreement through inspections and compliance issues to settlement and recording the documents correctly.
At Gertsburg Law, our real property lawyers have decades of experience helping buyers settle into a new community and getting the right financial lending package for their purchase. Our Cleveland real estate attorneys advise sellers so that they can get the maximum financial return, free of worry about litigation and complaints about the condition or title to the property. If litigation is required, our firm has experienced trial attorneys who will aggressively and competently represent your interests in court.
What buy-and-sell matters our attorneys handle
We always recommend that clients use legal counsel instead of trying to save costs by not having representation. Our fees are reasonable and testimonials from our clients will confirm that good legal advice protects buyers and sellers from damaging financial consequences. Professional legal counsel can mean not having to pay a broker’s commission if the sale falls through. Strong representation for sellers can mean the right to keep a deposit if the buyer backs out. Effective counsel is essential to getting the best deal for buyers and the highest sales price for sellers.
Some of the common buy-and-sell issues we address are:
- The agreement of sale. The purchase contract sets the terms for the sale. Many brokers and lawyers use standard agreement of sale forms. At Gertsburg Law, we review each item in the agreement to determine if it fits with the buyer’s or seller’s needs. We negotiate changes, such as contingency clauses, whether the property is being sold “as is,” and the amounts that must be set aside for repairs when needed. We address the possibility of a lease-purchase. Our lawyers also advise residential buyers of the time limits they have for changing their mind.
- Mortgages. Most residential and commercial buyers do not pay cash for their purchases. We review how much funding is needed, help buyers secure the necessary funding, and review the payment terms so that the buyer can meet the monthly payments. We also review the tax advantages for home or business ownership.
- Design and use concerns. Every commercial and residential buyer should make a full inspection of the property before they move in and the purchase of the property should be conditioned on the status of the real estate. Status includes what repairs may be needed, environmental compliance, the ability to obtain proper zoning including variances, and a variety of practical and legal factors. Our Chagrin Falls real estate lawyers work to ensure buyers can use the property for their intended purposes.
- Clear title. Every buyer needs to have good title so that creditors won’t make claims against the house, neighbors won’t claim that some of the property belongs to them, and utilities won’t claim that the buyer has restricted easement or no access to crucial resources. Sellers need experienced lawyers who can address any issues the title report reveals so that the sale can go through.
- Settlement. Our lawyers run through an exhaustive list of checks so that when settlement day comes, the papers can be signed, keys exchanged, and everyone gets paid. We take the time to explain the documents that the buyers and sellers are signing.
- Post-settlement actions. Our attorneys follow through with all open issues, such as seeing that deeds and mortgages are properly recorded with the local recorder of deeds and that any new complaints are professionally resolved.
Whether it’s discovery of defects such as termites, dangerous problems like hazardous waste or water-runoffs, repairs required by local government authorities, rest assured that Gertsburg Law has the experience to competently handle any real property concern that may arise.
Speak with a professional Chagrin Falls and Cleveland real estate transaction attorney before you sign any papers
The purchase or sale of a home or business location should be the happiest of times. For residential buyers, it means starting a new life or providing a home for your family. For commercial buyers, it means beginning or expanding a business. Don’t assume that purchases and sales are routine. There are many items that need to be thoroughly vetted at each stage of the sales process. Please phone our office at 440-571-7777 or complete our contact form to schedule an appointment with a reliable and trusted Chagrin Falls and Cleveland real estate attorney.